Weekly Update: July 14, 2021
In This Message
– 8th WACCPD Workshop at SC21 Call for Papers
Meetings & Workshops
– 2021 CUDA Training Series (Jul 16, Aug 17, Sep 14)
– July OLCF User Conference Call: NVIDIA HPC SDK (Jul 28)
– CMake Training (Aug 23-26)
– Kokkos Training (Aug 17 & 19)
– Slate Workshop (Aug 25-26)
– 2021 GPU Hackathons
Upcoming Scheduled Outages
– HPSS (Today)
– Slate: Marble/JupyterHub (Jul 20)
– Summit, Andes, DTN, Alpine, License servers, MyOLCF (Jul 27)
– Home (Jul 28)
8th WACCPD Workshop at SC21 Call for Papers
The Call for Papers for the 8th Workshop on Accelerator Programming using Devices is now open! The workshop aims to showcase all aspects of accelerator programming for heterogeneous systems such as innovative high-level language or library approaches, lessons learned while using directives or other portable approaches to migrate scientific legacy code to modern systems, and compilation and runtime scheduling techniques. The paper submission deadline is August 27, 2021 AOE. For more information, see https://www.waccpd.org/.
Meetings & Workshops
2021 CUDA Training Series (Jul 16, Aug 17, Sep 14)
NVIDIA will continue their CUDA Training Series with the webinars listed below. Each webinar will include a presentation and hands-on exercises. Webinars will be held from 1 PM to 3 PM (Eastern Time). More information about these sessions and recordings of previous sessions can be found at https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/cuda-training-series/.
– CUDA Multithreading with Streams (Friday, July 16) Register here
– CUDA Multi Process Service (Tuesday, August 17) Register here
– CUDA Debugging (Tuesday, September 14) Register here
July OLCF User Conference Call: NVIDIA HPC SDK (Jul 28)
The July OLCF User Conference Call will be held at noon (Eastern Time) on Wednesday, July 28. During the call, NVIDIA’s Robert Searles will present an overview of the NVIDIA HPC SDK. Details of the call including connection information are available at https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/calendar/userconcall-jul2021.
CMake Workshop (Aug 23-26)
The OLCF is partnering with Kitware, ECP, ALCF, and NERSC to offer a 4-day CMake Training class on August 23-26. The class will be virtual and will use computational resources available at NERSC for the exercises. The training is targeted at a deeper understanding of CMake. It seeks to assist developers in learning how to resolve issues outside of their control, in addition to writing a build system generator capable of seamlessly configuring for multiple unique architectures with a variety of compilers. OLCF users are all welcome to join this training. Registration is limited and offered on a first come, first served basis. For more information or to register, visit https://www.exascaleproject.org/event/cmake-training-2108/.
Kokkos Training (August 17 & 19)
OLCF will host a Kokkos workshop on August 17 & 19 from 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM (Eastern Time). This workshop is open to developers of ECP applications and software-technology projects who are already using Kokkos and want to port their code to next generation architectures and/or further optimize their code. Attendees are expected to already have some level of experience with Kokkos. The training will focus on performance and will teach attendees how to use Kokkos Tools to profile, tune, and debug code. The first session will cover new features that were added in the recent past. The second session will be hands-on with members of the Kokkos team helping application developers with their own codes. For more information or to register, visit https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/calendar/kokkos-training/.
Slate Workshop (Aug 25-26)
OLCF will host a Slate workshop on August 25 and 26 from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM (Eastern Time). This workshop aims to help OLCF/NCCS users and NCCS staff generate smoother workflows for their applications running on Summit and NCCS Open resources. Slate is a Kubernetes-based container orchestration service for users to run persistent application services that do not fit into a batch job (such as workflow management systems and data portals) with access to NCCS filesystems and cluster job queues. This will be a virtual workshop hosted on Zoom. For details and registration, see https://www.olcf.ornl.gov/calendar/olcf-slate-hackathon/.
2021 GPU Hackathons
The 2021 NVIDIA GPU Hackathon series is winding down. The final OLCF-supported Hackathon is the OLCF-hosted (virtual) Hackathon which will be held on October 18 and 25-27. The deadline to apply is August 18. For more information and to apply, go to https://www.gpuhackathons.org/events.
Upcoming Scheduled Outages
- HPSS will remain unavailable until 5:00 PM today (Wednesday, July 14).
- Work will be performed on Slate (Marble and JupyterHub) from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM on Tuesday, July 20. Jupyter notebooks will be restarted as part of this process, so in-flight processing will be halted but the notebook state will be stored. Otherwise, workflows should migrate between servers in the respective clusters and no user impact is anticipated.
- Summit, Andes, the Data Transfer Nodes, and the Alpine Filesystem will be unavailable from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM on Tuesday, July 27.
- MyOLCF and the license servers may be intermittently unavailable between 8:00 AM and noon on Tuesday, July 27.
- The general-purpose login server (home.ccs.ornl.gov) may be briefly unavailable between 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM on Wednesday, July 28.